Blog Post Updated on November 16, 2022
Après ski is as much a part of a winter vacation as skiing and snowboarding itself. There is no better way to end a day of skiing than with some frosty craft beers and tasty après ski food.
Mmmmm...can you say nachos?
Après ski originated in Europe and is rooted deeply in traditional songs, drinks and dance. However, we Americans have done a pretty good job of establishing our own après ski traditions as well. Whether it's the glitz and glam of Cloud 9 in Aspen or table dancing at Cuzzins with Bruce Jacques at Mount Snow everyone is bound to have a great time.
With winter upon us and many of us booking ski trips, the question of where to ski on the east coast often coincides with who has the best après ski on the east coast. That said, I have decided to rank my favorite après ski bars region by region with the first installment featuring the best après ski east coast style.
East Coast Ski...How about East Coast Après Ski?
Grizzly's, Stratton It's the bar at the base...baby! Live Music, tasty food, cold beer and the option to drink on a sun-drenched deck overlooking the mountain make this an All About Après top choice
- The Matterhorn Bar, Stowe: I don't always make it to Stowe but when I do, I prefer The Matterhorn. If you are looking to ski the east coast, Stowe won't let you down. "The Horn" has long been the go-to après ski bar at Stowe and is widely considered one of the best in the country thanks to its friendly atmosphere, great food and good drink.
- The Rack, Sugarloaf Maine: Co-owned by professional snowboarder, Seth Wescott this location combines two of my favorites, BBQ and après ski. How could you possibly go wrong?
- Wobbly Barn, Killington: Iconic après ski at its finest. If you're skiing "The Beast" then you need the best après ski east coast. Enjoy great people, great food and great fun at this legendary bar that is said to shake when the music is pumping.
- Tom's Loft Tavern, Okemo: Warm beer, Lousy Food, Grumpy owner...or so the sign says. Although Tom can be a little cantankerous at times he is a highly amusing personality and the beer and food are both amazing at this one-of-a-kind, divey (in a good way) après ski bar.
- Snow Republic Brewery, Mount Snow: This is my family's favorite après ski location at Mount Snow. Why? Other than having our All Day Après signature beer on tap, it is fun for the entire family. Shuffleboard, darts, pool, and board and card games for days keep the kids engage while parents enjoy our crushable Pale Ale. Beyond that, Snow Republic has some of the best food in the Deerfield Valley to replenish your stores from a long day on the mountain.
- La Diable, Mont Tremblant: You can't really go wrong with too many places at Tremblant, but we love La Diable. A microbrewery located at the foot of the slopes, their beers are top shelf and a great compliment to their affordable and tasty food.
- Woodstock Inn Brewery, Loon: A microbrewery with 20+ years of brewing experience and a signature beer called Frosty Goggles is enough to make the Woodstock Inn awesome, but there's more. The food is really good and they also happen to be an inn. So you can eat and drink to your heart's content with only a short commute to your room to worry about.
- Beck's Tavern, Gore Mountain: While many who travel to the Adirondacks make their way to the more popular Whiteface Mountain, less popular Gore Mountain remains insulated from all the traffic. But don't underestimate this less-populated mountain. Gore's terrain will definitely impress you and Beck's Tavern is simply some of the best apres ski on the east coast. A short drive from the mountain and you are greeted by this amazing German tavern. The main building is stunning and worth popping into but the yurts are where it's at. Hopefully, Big Mike is still serving up drinks and holding court behind the bar. He's quite the character. So unbuckle those boots and stay a while as your children enjoy the many games they have to play and you sip cold beer and chow down on some German brats.
- Finnerty's Tap Room, Ellicottville, NY: There is no shortage of apres ski bars in the best ski town on the East coast. Throw a stone and you'll hit one. However, Finnerty's stands out for its lively après ski crowd and Irish Pub meets sports bar atmosphere. With plenty of taps to choose from, there is no shortage of beer to pair with their creative Irish pub fare. And, if the Bills are playing, you are in for a treat. Finnerty's is home to the local chapter of the Bills Mafia and well...you know how that goes.
Ski the East Coast in the Best Après Ski Clothing
The best après ski on the east coast deserves the best après ski clothes. When transitioning from the mountain to the bar, you'll want something sporty and stylish. Our Men's and Women's 1/2 Zip Performance Pullover fits the bill. In fact, one of our patrons referred to it as the best pullover she's ever worn. Now that's saying something, considering she grew up skiing Alta. When performance meets style like this, you simply cannot go wrong.
If you enjoy finding out about the best places to hang out on your next ski trip, then our Après Ski Blog is for you. Sign up today and never miss another post. You won't be disappointed.