I can't believe that it's been two years. Two whole years since that life changing moment I was introduced to one of my favorite, beach drinks ever. Yes, Memorial Day 2018 was when the Tequila Watermelon Splash was born. It's been all downhill from there.
One Thing Led to Another and There we Were Celebrating the First Tequila Sunday
A group of us were kicking off the holiday weekend that Friday. After a few beers, I proposed the idea of Tequila Sunday. A day to celebrate the unofficial kickoff to summer by drinkly primarily, well...Tequila. Seemed like a no brainer to me and apparently everyone else thought so as well.
One thing led to another and next thing you know, there we were, celebrating the first ever Tequila Sunday.
Tequila Sunday Deserves a Signature Après-Surf Cocktail
Everyone knows that if you're going to give a day it's own theme name, it obviously needs a signature après surf cocktail. You know, something more than a standard Margarita. That's where my friend Natalie took the bottle and ran with it. After a bit of research and some of her own personal touches the Tequila Watermelon Splash was born.
One sip and I was intrigued. Five more later and I was hooked for life.
Light, refreshing, flavorful...it is the ultimate summer drink. And since it's loaded with watermelon, it is borderline hydrating.
Tequila and Watermelon Beach Drink Recipe
There is no doubt that I'll be whipping up several batches this weekend in honor of that special day and I encourage you to as well. You won't be disappointed. And, if by some chance you are, send your leftovers to me, I'll drink them. Cheers!
1 medium size watermelon cut into chunks
3 cups of Blueberries
1 cup of Fresh mint
1 bottle of soda Water
- Fill the blender with diced watermelon. Blend until a smooth consistency.
- In a pitcher, muddle blueberries, mint leaves and lime wedges. Then top with the watermelon mixture.
- Fill your glass up half way with crushed ice and a shot (or three) of tequila. Then add your watermelon mixture from the pitcher until the glass is about 3/4 of the way full. Stir.
- Top with a splash of soda water and serve.
- Watch friend smile as they take their first sip.
Pairs Well With:
The ocean breeze, sandy feet and fish tacos