Now in its 36 year, the Burton U.S. Open Snowboarding Championship has established itself as the premier snowboarding event across the continent. With 50 Olympic Olympians confirmed to compete and 15 medalists such as Mark McMorris (last year's slopestyle champion) leading the charge there will be no shortage of sick riding for your viewing pleasure.
However, anyone who has been to the U.S. Open knows full well that this is more than just your average snowboarding event. Held annually in Vail, complete with après ski parties at the bars and enough swag from the sponsors' village to fill your suitcase it is an event that you must experience. Adding to the epicness this year Burton has upped the amplitude and announced a concert series for the ages.
The Connection Between Music and Snowboarding Evokes Week Long Concert Series
Recognizing the connection between music and snowboarding Burton recently announced a lineup that features grammy award winning artists to headline six days of nonstop entertainment. The Burton Concert Series will run from Monday, March 5th through Saturday, March 10th in the heart of Colorado’s Vail Village following each day’s snowboard competition.
New Venue Added Allows for Bigger Lineup
This year's program will also include a brand new venue, in addition to the Solaris stage, at the Shakedown bar. This allows for a greatly expanded lineup with additional après and late night set times.
Live music at the Solaris Concert Stage and the closing party at Dobson Ice Arena continue to be FREE and open to the public. Tickets for the Shakedown Bar performances will be available for purchase in advance of the show through Shakedown Bar and at the door.
Highlights From This year’s Burton Concert Series
- Grammy award winning performer Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley performs Saturday night on the Solaris Concert stage. The youngest son of the legend Bob Marley is celebrated for his rousing reggae roots jams and dancehall bangers.
- Michigan-bred singer songwriterBØRNS, aka Garrett Borns, will take over Friday night on the Solaris Concert Stage with his danceable indie-pop ballads and captivating stage presence.
- One of the premier soul bands in the country,Monophonics, plays the Solaris Concert Stage on Wednesday. This Bay Area band’s live shows are a one-of-a-kind raucous, soulful experience.
- Dean Ween & Friends play Shakedown Bar après set on Thursday for an intimate acoustic performance. This is a must-see for any Ween fans.
- The closing party at Dobson Ice Arena on Saturday night will bea one-two-three punch of DJs, featuringDJ Cre8, Deejay Theory and DJ Hedspin aka “the World's Best Party Rocker DJ.”